It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the following documents prior to working with Dynamicweb templates:
- Designs and Layouts.pdf
Explains how to implement designs in Dynamicweb 220.127.116.11 and future versions. It introduces the concept of Designs and Layouts and explains how these templates are composed and used.
- Dynamicweb Templates
Gives an overview of Dynamicweb templates. Descriptions and working examples are given for template tags, paragraph templates, page templates and ParagraphSetup templates.
After reading this document you will have a basic understanding of Dynamicweb templates.
- Designing Dynamicweb Templates
Gives instructions on how to develop and modify Dynamicweb templates. Procedures for common tasks are given for paragraph templates, page templates and ParagraphSetup templates. An introduction is given to the use of menus in Dynamicweb along with procedures for their use in page templates.
After reading this document you will be able to customize the design and layout of Dynamicweb websites using Dynamicweb templates.
- Dynamicweb Menus
Gives both an overview and instructions on working with menus in Dynamicweb. While menus can seem simple and intuitive to the visitor of your website, applying their full potential efficiently requires a thorough introduction.
After reading this document you will be able to use and customize Dynamicweb menus.
Before version 18.104.22.168 the only option was to register layout settings in the Stylesheet functionality in the administration and register the templates in the Templates module. This information is placed in the database and makes it cumbersome to move a design from one solution to another. The Designs and Layouts makes it possible to copy a design from one solution to another in matter of minutes.
- It takes a great deal of knowledge regarding the Dynamicweb template hierarchy to setup a design.
- You have to split the html of the design in several different templates making it not that transparent.
- Paragraph setup templates are needed in order to have multiple containers for content. This requires setup on every page and an editor needs to learn how to use the paragraph setup concept.
These issues are eliminated or minimized with the Designs and Layouts approach. Layout templates are:
- Extremely fast to implement
- Easy to understand
- Provides you with total design freedom
- Can be copied from one solution to another
- Are contextual – so templates for one website is not used on other websites
- Layout templates are a compilation of the previous Master, Page and Paragraph setup templates all of which is deprecated when using the layouts approach.